It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 11:34 am

Contact Us | All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to shakynow

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you access to view the discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to see everything, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please join us - the number one ultimate Shakin' Stevens fans forum, join our community today!

Page 3 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: SHAKY UK TOUR 2017
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:18 am 
Owner
Owner

Devon, May 9th Barnstaple, Queens Theatre has been cancelled due to the venue going into administration. Please contact the theatre if you bought tickets.

No official word as yet from SONG as the gig may still go ahead if the theatre are bailed out before hand. However, I'd advise anyone who had bought tickets to still contact the source they bought them from.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:54 pm 
Owner
Owner

Just a reminder people - obviously with the tour kicking off tomorrow, they'll be loads of spoilers throughout the thread and forum. If we can keep all tour reviews, set lists, stage details etc to this thread then it'll be easier for folk to avoid spoilers and accidently seeing them.

If you want an absolute spoiler free experience then avoid the forum and especially the Facebook group until after your date on the tour.

IMPORTANT : Please DO NOT upload any photos of the performance or video links. But do feel free to share photos of the people you a have met and the venues.

I'll be at Southend, Dartford, London, Scunthorpe and Hastings, all being well. So if you recognise me then please come and say Hi ! I'd love to meet as many of you as possible and get some photos for the group.

See you on tour!

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:35 pm 
Admin
Admin

Just the one show for me! I'll be in Warrington.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:23 pm 
Owner
Owner

Southend 18/4/17 Review

Die hard. That's what they call me. A 'die hard'. As a so called die hard fan I'm either supposed to be full on rose tinted with everything Shakyfied, or absolutely brutal and nit picking it all under the magnifying glass. Personally, I'm just a music fan in general that has happened to have taken to Shaky and his music since a very young age. I make no illusions and merit every artist equally.

So tonight was the third gig of the mammoth tour and my first. I'd read the brief reviews of the first two and I went in knowing the set list. I heard about a few teething troubles on the previous couple of tour starters so I went in expecting a few flaws, some highs and pretty much an enjoyable Shaky gig, nothing more special than previous tours...

Straight away I noticed how impressive the set up was. Impressive lights, a big screen teasing behind and a stage full of instrumentals that looked like the front display and sales floor of a music shop. Guitars galore and podiums, drums, brass and keys. I knew my ears were in for a treat with all that soon to be going on.

After a wonderful and very brave just girl and guitar support act, the extremely talented Danni Nicholls, Shaky and band took to the stage almost immediately as Danni departed. The mining drum chant of Down In The Hole began with it's sledgehammer melodic thump as the purple beams shone out and the backdrop on the large screen showed those haunting images from the video. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up and Shaky, amongst the huge cheers, launched into the moving track. The sound levels were spot on from the first beat and Shaky's vocal level was pitched just right. For me, it was a great introduction song to the Echoes tour. It set the mood for the tone of some of the content and let us know the musicians here are top of their game.

We were treated to the title track of the album straight after and the tempo was lifted. Again, great backdrop visuals accompanied the song, as it did to all of them tonight. We had two amazing halves that were a mixture of the new album, hits, album tracks and only performed live before tracks, like the stunning Creedence Clearwater Revival cover of Have You Ever Seen The Rain. A nod to Chuck Berry with It's My Own Business (and Don't Lie To Me, which Berry wrote too) along with a mixture ranging from Hot Dog (from 1979's Take One!) to the final closer on the three song encore, Fire Down Below (from 2006's Now Listen) with the complete Echoes album scattered around them. Or the earlier stuff scattered around Echoes, whichever way you see it. People have been critical about not enough 80's Shaky within this tour, yet if you study it we have various tracks from Take One!, This Ole House, Shaky, Give Me Your Heart Tonight and Lipstick Powder And Paint.

Now people said previously that they could hear Shaky 'struggling' with some songs, Suffer Little Children and Train Of Time in particular. I was listening with a sharp ear to all the tracks tonight but I'm not one for going over every note with a fine toothed comb. For me the odd fluff or throat jolt, as I call them, are all part of a live performance. And this, in my opinion, is where the problem lies...

Listening to a studio recording is one thing. The vocal can be tweaked, overlapped, re-taken etc. I think Shaky naturally trys to hit those studio lines and notes when he doesn't have to when singing live. I'm sure he knows that, but he must be so used to perfection in the studio that he trys to reproduce it verbatim on stage. He should really just drop a key a little, miss out doing a high end and let the backing singers do that part. Don't worry about hanging onto a note, let it go sooner. Still, saying all that, the vocal tonight was outstanding, especially with the non Echoes stuff. Suffer Little Children and Train Of Time, more so with the latter, were great tonight! Whether he has noticed that a vocal tweak on these was required after two gigs I don't know, but I certainly couldn't fault them. In fact any slight imperfections in the darker songs only added to the mood of them, a bit like hearing Johnny Cash sing Hurt or Personal Jesus. The roughness in the odd key gave it a blues feel, an emotional and real vocal, not some polished angelic harmony. It didn't bother me or make me cringe in the slightest. It sounded cool on these new tracks.

Now the hits... Oh. My. God. The new arrangement of Turning Away will blow you away. It's a masterclass in how to do a new version and actually improves on the original. Think 'Get It On' by T-Rex fused in there and you have a bluesy, rocky, deep version of one of Shaky's arguably best singles. It has a magic about it that will have you fall in love with the late Tim Krekel's penned three minutes of joy all over again. I pray that this and other reworked back catalogue have a release that we can own. There were great versions of Marie Marie, Hot Dog (Jon Bishop on slide guitar doing a spot on ** Cole sound), Green Door, You Never Talked About Me, Don't Lie To Me, Radio and others that we know and love. Although they wasn't as different as Turning Away was, they still had a fresh injection of energy. It was a major grin of happiness from ear to ear when Lipstick Powder And Paint came on as I never thought I'd hear that again live.

This Ole House. The white elephant in the room. We need to talk about This Ole House. Firstly, kudos to Shaky for taking his biggest hit and changing is so dramatically. To take his most familiar song that Joe Public would've bought a ticket to hear on its own and turn in upside down is a very ballsy move. I can't speak for everyone but for me I can't tell you enough how much I loved this slowed down gospel version. Listening to Shaky singing this jolly song as how it was originally written and recorded by Stuart Hamblin, as a slow gospel track about death, was four minutes of pure emotion. It kinda bookended the song completely from it's happy version to heartbreak version. It of course worked perfectly because it was originally written to be that way. It's near enough the same tempo and riff as Love The World and I'd say it was a missed opportunity to have led one track into the other, either way around. The crowd seemed to like it (I never heard any complaints) and it really seemed to be the highlight of the night. Please make that version available. I can't wait to hear it again.

Two halves of a fabulous set list. Possibly could've done with a few less new album tracks and a few more hits, but as a fan I always enjoy something new. I just hate the awkwardness of hearing others have a moan because not enough hits were played. I know Shaky can't do them all, but Julie and You drive Me Crazy should have been there along with House and Green Door, even in a revamped form. Just my opinion.

So to round it all up... No fan is going to be disappointed with this tour. The only major gripe I have is that no gigs on this tour are standing and it's impossible to remain seated completely at a Shaky concert and security, certainly at tonight's gig, can get a tad over zealous. Other than that, I've enjoyed tonight more than gigs of recent years. The band are tight as ever. Shaky is on fire, you can't help but go along for the ride with him regardless of any niggles because you can feed off the fact he's having a ball up there! The beautiful backing vocals from the girls really put their stamp on every track.

I can't wait to see and hear it all over again at Dartford later today. And London. And Scunthorpe. And Hastings.

Well I am a 'die hard', apparently.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:24 pm 
Owner
Owner

Dartford 19/4/17 Review

The 4th gig and my 2nd so I won't be as long and winded as my review yesterday, but I wanted to confirm that it was another night of huge buzzing that has confirmed that last night was no fluke.

I had a better seat this time, 3rd row again but in the middle. I had a perfect view of the whole band and large screen, and more balanced stereo sound as I was a little to the right at Southend.

So, any revelations tonight? Well I found out the subtle intro that morphs into the opening track Down In The Hole is actually a tease of the new version of This Ole House. In fact, it was that reworked House teaser that paved the way for the whole of This Ole House to receive it's makeover for the tour. Again I say it's a brave and ballsy move which is an absolute treat for the fans. To hear a tired hit done in a new way is extremely exciting for fans even if it may disappoint Joe public. But I like to think it was reworked as a gift for us loyal supporters and we've been trusted with it being embraced.

The crowd I thought were brilliant and I heard no heckling hit demands, just a few "woo hoos" (which Shaky joked "do we have some Indians in here tonight?" (meaning the apache ones by the way, not the ones from India) and a few "I love you Shaky!!" which also brought a smile. It was a great atmosphere made all the sweeter by a stellar performance by Shaky and the band. The new album tracks are settling in nicely and Shaky is clearly becoming more relaxed with them as the tour progresses. Still the odd creak here and there, but only noticeable to the radar ears like mine that have heard the album a billion times. Still, as I said yesterday, those creaks only add to the charm. Tonight the track Train Of Time, which became a victim of early criticism vocal wise, was absolutely 100% nailed like he'd been singing it for years. Fire In Her Blood also was flawless.

I felt it all passed a bit faster tonight because I'd memorised the set list by now, but it certainly has a lot of songs for the duration. Again This Ole House got everyone's attention and I couldn't wait to hear the version again along with that cracking revamp of Turning Away. They have both been a pleasurable ear worm for the last 48 hours. Have You Ever Seen The Rain is another track I'm excited about and again I hope it gets a release at some point. I personally feel a few new album tracks should be dropped for more revamped hits, but fair play to Shaky if he wants to perform the complete Echoes album. It's still newly performed live material for us fans even if it may disappoint some others of the audience.

The band were perfection as usual, not one fluff up at all, even the tiring harmonica by Julian never let up once. In fact I have to name check them all as they are doing such a brilliant job, so we salute you Martyn Hope, Jon Bishop, James Compton, Wal Coughlan, Julian Webster Greaves, Howard Tibble, Matt Holland, Sarah Geary and Kirstie Roberts. You guys are amazing. Shaky is a lucky man to have you all on this tour.

So it was business as usual and again I won't bogey pick a great entertaining night. The sound is spot on and Shaky is smiling, clearly having a blast. All of you guys that are still to have your date arrive, you are the luckiest as this set list will be like second nature to Shaky as the tour progresses. Ignore the haters, let no one dampen your expectations. It's Shaky, it's a Shaky concert in 2017! That's gotta be something to get excited about.

Roll on the next one (London) for me!

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:20 pm 

Takeone wrote:
Dartford 19/4/17 Review

The 4th gig and my 2nd so I won't be as long and winded as my review yesterday, but I wanted to confirm that it was another night of huge buzzing that has confirmed that last night was no fluke.

I had a better seat this time, 3rd row again but in the middle. I had a perfect view of the whole band and large screen, and more balanced stereo sound as I was a little to the right at Southend.

So, any revelations tonight? Well I found out the subtle intro that morphs into the opening track Down In The Hole is actually a tease of the new version of This Ole House. In fact, it was that reworked House teaser that paved the way for the whole of This Ole House to receive it's makeover for the tour. Again I say it's a brave and ballsy move which is an absolute treat for the fans. To hear a tired hit done in a new way is extremely exciting for fans even if it may disappoint Joe public. But I like to think it was reworked as a gift for us loyal supporters and we've been trusted with it being embraced.

The crowd I thought were brilliant and I heard no heckling hit demands, just a few "woo hoos" (which Shaky joked "do we have some Indians in here tonight?" (meaning the apache ones by the way, not the ones from India) and a few "I love you Shaky!!" which also brought a smile. It was a great atmosphere made all the sweeter by a stellar performance by Shaky and the band. The new album tracks are settling in nicely and Shaky is clearly becoming more relaxed with them as the tour progresses. Still the odd creak here and there, but only noticeable to the radar ears like mine that have heard the album a billion times. Still, as I said yesterday, those creaks only add to the charm. Tonight the track Train Of Time, which became a victim of early criticism vocal wise, was absolutely 100% nailed like he'd been singing it for years. Fire In Her Blood also was flawless.

I felt it all passed a bit faster tonight because I'd memorised the set list by now, but it certainly has a lot of songs for the duration. Again This Ole House got everyone's attention and I couldn't wait to hear the version again along with that cracking revamp of Turning Away. They have both been a pleasurable ear worm for the last 48 hours. Have You Ever Seen The Rain is another track I'm excited about and again I hope it gets a release at some point. I personally feel a few new album tracks should be dropped for more revamped hits, but fair play to Shaky if he wants to perform the complete Echoes album. It's still newly performed live material for us fans even if it may disappoint some others of the audience.

The band were perfection as usual, not one fluff up at all, even the tiring harmonica by Julian never let up once. In fact I have to name check them all as they are doing such a brilliant job, so we salute you Martyn Hope, Jon Bishop, James Compton, Wal Coughlan, Julian Webster Greaves, Howard Tibble, Matt Holland, Sarah Geary and Kirstie Roberts. You guys are amazing. Shaky is a lucky man to have you all on this tour.

So it was business as usual and again I won't bogey pick a great entertaining night. The sound is spot on and Shaky is smiling, clearly having a blast. All of you guys that are still to have your date arrive, you are the luckiest as this set list will be like second nature to Shaky as the tour progresses. Ignore the haters, let no one dampen your expectations. It's Shaky, it's a Shaky concert in 2017! That's gotta be something to get excited about.

Roll on the next one (London) for me!

i had bought tickets for Carlisle opening night but to due to work commitments abroad (I'm now i Italy ) i gave them away and to be honest I wasn't to bothered as i thought it will be same old same old.
So after reading you thoughts Paul i last night jumped on the iPad and bought a ticket for Glasgow,I'm going to pop home just for the gig more so specifically after reading the review of turning away.im intrigued to hear this new version.
So Glasgow it is,,

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:57 pm 

Takeone wrote:
A nod to Chuck Berry with It's My Own Business (and Don't Lie To Me, which Berry wrote too)

This Ole House. The white elephant in the room. We need to talk about This Ole House.

Thanks for review. Yours and Ricky Aron's reviews have been really interesting to read.

Chuck Berry didn't write Don't Lie To Me. I know Berry's name is listed as a songwriter on Lipstick LP, so your mistake is totally understandable. It seems to me everybody claim that they wrote the song (Fats Domino, Albert King, Berry), in reality Tampa Red (Hudson Whittaker) is the one who wrote it.

Shaky's original version of House was in major key. On this tour it's in minor key hence melancholy feel of the song. They did same thing with Echoes Of Merry Christmas Everyone, original was in major key while Echoes is in minor.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:38 pm 
Admin
Admin

Ari wrote:
Shaky's original version of House was in major key. On this tour it's in minor key hence melancholy feel of the song. They did same thing with Echoes Of Merry Christmas Everyone, original was in major key while Echoes is in minor.

Interestingly ToH should be in a more mournful minor key realistically as it's about a corpse being found in a dilapidated shack.

NRBQ & Shaky gave it a rockin' major-key lift at odds with the lyrical content but much more pleasing to the ear.

Shaky now taking it back to its more gospel roots, in line with his Echoes transformation. Will be interesting to see live.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:44 pm 
Owner
Owner

Have you lined up a ticket yet, Kris?

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:46 pm 
Owner
Owner

Ari wrote:

Chuck Berry didn't write Don't Lie To Me. I know Berry's name is listed as a songwriter on Lipstick LP, so your mistake is totally understandable. It seems to me everybody claim that they wrote the song (Fats Domino, Albert King, Berry), in reality Tampa Red (Hudson Whittaker) is the one who wrote it.

Cheers Ari, I assumed DLTM was Berry penned for the reasons you suggested. Maybe Shaky knows that too, hence no mention of Berry before or after performing DLTM

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:50 pm 
Owner
Owner

rockrollnsoul wrote:

i had bought tickets for Carlisle opening night but to due to work commitments abroad (I'm now i Italy ) i gave them away and to be honest I wasn't to bothered as i thought it will be same old same old.
So after reading you thoughts Paul i last night jumped on the iPad and bought a ticket for Glasgow,I'm going to pop home just for the gig more so specifically after reading the review of turning away.im intrigued to hear this new version.
So Glasgow it is,,

I really hope you enjoy it, although was it you that said you didn't rate the new album? Or am I confusing you with someone else? It's a very Echoes tour...

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:52 pm 
Admin
Admin

Takeone wrote:
Have you lined up a ticket yet, Kris?

Not yet. Currently lookin at Scunthorpe!

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:23 pm 

Urgent help needed
Hello friends, I need your help. I have been a Shaky fan for 35 years and for the FIRST TIME I will see him live on 30th April, Tunbridge Concert. All I want is to have a photo with him. I will travel 5000 miles only for this concert. Is there anybody who can give me a contact number or email address that I can ask for permission to enter his backstage and take a photo?

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:33 pm 
Owner
Owner

+*+*+*+ STOP PRESS +*+*+*+*

Merchandise announcement! - from last night the Echoes Of Our Times cd, regular digipack edition, are now available SIGNED BY SHAKY! Priced at £16 proceeds from these signed editions are going to The Salvation Army charity, which is such a wonderful thing. You can still purchase an unsigned regular cd for £10.

The limited edition hardbook £15 edition of the cd is not available signed (obviously not to push people to buy the more expensive version).

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:36 pm 
Owner
Owner

shinymoon wrote:
Urgent help needed
Hello friends, I need your help. I have been a Shaky fan for 35 years and for the FIRST TIME I will see him live on 30th April, Tunbridge Concert. All I want is to have a photo with him. I will travel 5000 miles only for this concert. Is there anybody who can give me a contact number or email address that I can ask for permission to enter his backstage and take a photo?

Email your message above to contactus@shakinstevens.com

All meet and greets are arranged already via the fan CLUB 'SONG', however you don't know until you ask. Maybe because you're coming so far they might, only might!, be able to sort something.

Why have you left it so late to request this?

Page 3 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Contact Us | All times are UTC [ DST ]