It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:37 am

Welcome
Welcome to shakynow

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you access to view the discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to see everything, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please join us - the number one ultimate Shakin' Stevens fans forum, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: How Many Tears Can You Hide - We Salute You !
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:19 pm 
Owner
Owner

Here we go then, another in my little line of Shaky singles on the autopsy table -

'How Many Tears Can You Hide' - Underated? This could be a bit of a classic. It never seems to pop up in the same sentences as 'A Little Boogie woogie' (which is a personal fav of mine!), 'True Love' and 'Pink Champagne'.

1988 saw the release of How Many Tears, another stab at the dance/electric pop sound. This was the start of the Pete Hammond (Stock Aitken & Waterman Productions) that was not really the right direction for Shaky at this point in his career, although it seemed logical at the time. 'Tears' proved to be a hit among the fans and even though it charted at the lower end it could have been a major hit. No promotion and lack of airplay will spell doom for any record and Tears was a victim of it. It even had a half decent video which no one saw. The video was even a rarity among the fans and many never saw it before the 2005 DVD 'The Collection' release.

Lets get something laid down first. This was never going to be a live track. It is an out and out studio track with it's production that could never be reproduced live. "Your Love...." Vocally, that part of the record is pure studio sound. As far as i'm aware this song has never been performed live by Shaky.

The track had high hopes, the fan club raved about it at the time, but it was Shaky's lowest chart hit since This Ole House back then in 1988. I don't think the song can be blamed. It was the start of the music world and radio slowly turning it's back on Shaky and shutting down the biggest hit maker of the 80's. It was a time when Shaky should have really stopped dead in his tracks and looked at his career for a serious change in direction.

How Many Tears was originally a single for Frankie Miller (and written by him with Graham Lyle).

It was not a hit for Frankie either. Funny enough, the track came from an album of Frankie's in 1986 called 'Dancing In The Rain'. Ironically there was another track on Miller's album called 'Shaky Ground' :D

Many artists have covered songs by Frankie Miller including Ray Charles, Joe Cocker, Roy Orbison (The superb Heartbreak Radio), Bonnie Tyler, Rod Stewart, Clint Black and even The Proclaimers. The list is endless.

Here's some 'How Many Tears Can You Hide' facts...

First appeared in UK chart at a new entry of No. 57 on 15/10/1988.
Last Seen in UK Chart on 05/11/1988 (No.60).
Length of time in UK chart: 4 weeks.
Highest position in UK chart: No.47.

It was produced originally by Bob Heatile (who wrote Cry Just A Little Bit and MCE among others) and Shaky.

It was available on 7", CD Single and 2 Track 12" Single which featured a Dance Mix .

The CD Single in the card sleeve is a real rarity now. Some of the CD singles were plagued with sound problems and to find one that plays perfect is a real treasure. Some early CD singles from the late 80's fell ill to 'CD rot' and the Feel The Need In Me CD single suffered the same disease. The CD was a 3 Track that had the Dance Mix and the B-Side 'If I Really Knew'. A Pete Hammond remix of the 7" featured at the time only on the CD Single and was slightly different to the album version from 'A Whole Lotta Shaky'.

'If I Really Knew' is a classic B-Side among the fans and was written by Newcombe and Taggart.

There were two limited edition 7" Versions. One contained a free poster folded up inside and the other contained a free metal badge (see photo below)

Note how the font 'Shakin Stevens' on this sleeve has the words 'How Many Tears Can You Hide' underneath it and how the font on the sleeve at the top has the writing through 'Shakin Stevens'. It's a classic example of how some sleeves undergo slight changes.

So that rounds up another in depth look at a classic single.

'How Many Tears Can You Hide'... We Salute You!

Post subject: Re: How Many Tears Can You Hide - We Salute You !
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:22 pm 
Admin
Admin

Probably one of my favourite Shaky singles!

A search on YouTube for the Frankie Miller version threw up this live recording

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:51 pm 
Owner
Owner

That's a stonking brilliant live version! Really impressive. I can imagine Rod Stewart singing it now...

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:50 pm 

The first I heard of the existence of How Many Tears Can You Hide (I was no longer a fan club member) was an advertisement beside the TV listings in The Sun newspaper. It had a premium line phone number where you could call and hear the single. I called immediately and listened to a low-fi version of it down the phone for 79p a minute (or something as outrageous). I loved it immediately.

There is a fair bit of vocal trickery on this song, particularly the chorus where the Autotune is whacked up and there is some major vocal processing. I suspect this is the main reason the song has never been performed live - not the fact that the sound of the record cannot be reproduced, but the fact that it is in a crazily-high key for Shaky to sing comfortably and thus too much of a risk in a live set.

The production is headed in the more poppy direction of Two Kinds but because of the Peter-Gunn style guitar line, it still feels more rock than Pop. It always seemed nuts to me that even when they took Shaky into more synth-pop territory, they didn't continue to feature great rock guitar. (I would have rather they hadn't gone down that avenue at all, but given that they did it seems insane to surrender the role of the guitar - especially when Shaky continued to record songs that traditionally asked for it.) HMTCYH had the perfect balance with its poppier production of a rock-pop song.

I sing this song to myself all the time, in the shower etc. It gets stuck terribly in my head.

Personally I feel it is the greatest of the late period Shaky singles by a long, long way.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:30 pm 

I find comments about not being able to do it live slightly strange. Granted it may not have been exactly like the record but had it become a massive hit it might have be obligatory to perform a live version. Live is different recording and I can think of a number of songs, even at time they were released being performed slightly differently on stage to how they were recorded.

I think the reason it's not really performed live is that is simply didn't really happen in spite of the high hopes for the song. Alway's liked Frankie Miller though so personally I was pleased with the record. I remember Frankie had two hits (or three) in the 70s, but I bought the wrong one!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:45 pm 

Great version, I never heard this before! The sax in this live version is brilliant and really adds power to it!

Unread postPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:25 pm 

The Other Doctor wrote:

The production is headed in the more poppy direction of Two Kinds but because of the Peter-Gunn style guitar line, it still feels more rock than Pop.

I feel it's a pop song with pop chord changes while Micky Gee is playing Chuck Berry style lead guitar. It's nice, little bit different, combination.

I remember one record review of the single. Reviewer didn't like it and said something like "guitar sound is thinner than ever". That's very true, guitar sound is thin but it fits the song perfectly.

I've always loved background vocals on chorus. I don't know how they got that manipulated "lifeless" sound, but it sounds great.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:32 pm 
Admin
Admin

Not_yet_Baloo wrote:
I find comments about not being able to do it live slightly strange. Granted it may not have been exactly like the record but had it become a massive hit it might have be obligatory to perform a live version. Live is different recording and I can think of a number of songs, even at time they were released being performed slightly differently on stage to how they were recorded.

I agree. If Frankie Miller could then so could Shaky, even if he dropped the key slightly.

Maybe he just doesn't dig the track any more - might be a painful reminder of the downturn years?

Interestingly enough, Shaky never performs any singles from 1987 onwards - hasn't done for many years anyway

Unread postPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:22 am 
Owner
Owner

Paint It Green wrote:
Interestingly enough, Shaky never performs any singles from 1987 onwards - hasn't done for many years anyway

...apart from 'Radio'

Unread postPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:49 pm 
Admin
Admin

And more recently 'I Can Help'...........(although that's a Germany-only single).

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:09 am 

Love this, as a newbie this one caught my attention when I was going through the singles. Very catchy and should have been a hit IMO.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:15 am 
Owner
Owner

It was a well recieved single by the fans and always been a fav of mine. Trouble is, by 1988 the writing was on the wall for Shaky airplay as the radio stations became a bit more snobby and tended to aim towards the latest trend of the Stock Aiken and Waterman explosion. I don't think Shaky has ever performed this track live, or even a mimed performance.

Post subject: I Can Help Re: How Many Tears Can You Hide - We Salute You
Unread postPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 7:03 pm 

Takeone wrote:
It was a well recieved single by the fans and always been a fav of mine. Trouble is, by 1988 the writing was on the wall for Shaky airplay as the radio stations became a bit more snobby and tended to aim towards the latest trend of the Stock Aiken and Waterman explosion.

I don't think Shaky has ever performed this track live, or even a mimed performance.

You mean I Can Help?

Maybe this one? Sound is playback. But live audience:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQvLNFSGsqk

Unread postPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:38 pm 
Owner
Owner

No, I meant How Many Tears Can You Hide.

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]